Historic England Listing Details for CHURCH OF ST PAUL
List Entry Summary
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
Name: CHURCH OF ST PAUL
List entry Number: 1241881
Location CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BURDETT ROAD
County: Greater London Authority District: Tower Hamlets District Type: London Borough
List entry. Grade: II*
Date first listed: 29-Mar-1988
Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry. Legacy System: LBS UID: 206486
Summary of Building TQ 3681 Church of St Paul and 17/1000 attached vicarage.
Parish Church, 1958 by Robert Maguire of Maguire and Murray.
- Purple Uxbridge brick and concrete.
- Centralised rectangular plan with projecting octagonal NW porch and SE baptistry.
- Tall cubical windowless nave with large glazed lantern enclosed on all sides by lower windowless aisle walls with folded concrete roof with glazed gables and deep projecting eaves.
- Internally all walls are carried on concrete piloti, with concrete and brickwork frankly shown.
- The sanctuary area around the centralised altar is defined by a steel 'corona' suspended from the roof.
- Cast concrete font.
- The vicarage adjoining the church is also of special architectural interest.
Ref Architectural Review, December 1960.
Listing NGR: TQ3682381690
Books and journals
'Architectural Review' in December, (1960)
National Grid Reference: TQ 36823 81690
© Crown Copyright and database right 2016. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2016. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.
End of official listing
© Historic England 2016